Distance: 21 km
Estimated driving time: 36 min
This pretty little village is situated just above Pyrgi, on the east coast. Offers fantastic views out beyond the resort of Ipsos.
On the west coast of the island. Astonishing green beauty with amazing beaches and caves. At the top of the hill lies a male monastery dedicated to the Virgin, founded in 1225. Not far away, Angelokastro, is a Byzantine fortress, built on the summit of a steep crag.
The summer residence of the Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Sissy), in Gastouri. She named the mansion “Achilleion”, in honor of Achilles and his huge statue dominates the palace’s garden. Now functions as a museum.
Paleopolis, according to archeologists is where the center of the ancient city of Corfu used to be. There was the market, the Doric temple of Kardaki, the roman baths. Further out north, remains the Monument of Menekratis, a circular funerary monument with a conical roof, built around 600 BC. The inscription is one of the oldest in Greece. In the south of Paleopolis is the temple of Artemis Gorgous. Built in the early 6th century, when the island was under the sovereignty of Periander, tyrant of Corinth.